Monday, April 16, 2007

"We can live without oil, but we can't live without water."

-Jane Goodall, April 16,2007 speaking at Oklahoma City University

I am still in awe of her. I sat in the wellness center at OCU last night and was in awe. She is amazing, pure, full of life, soft and oh so powerful woman. She spoke at our Distinguisted Speakers Series last night, and what a lady she is. She spoke about the most influencial people in her life; her mother, Louis Leaky, Mr. Greybeard, and one other. Her mother also tied into the message of hope and peace she is trying to give our world today. Chimpanzees, like humans, care for their children and will protect them throught their lives. Also, there are good Chimp mothers and there are bad Chimp mothers. She spoke of the unthinkable act that was committed at Virginia Tech this week, and that even though it was horrible, sad, and heartbreaking we need to have hope for the future. She spoke of her grandkids and how much of an inspiration they are for her. She was at a recent UN event where several Native American tribes were represented, and one of them that was an Eskimo said that everyday they see what the rest of the world doesn't...how we are losing our water supplies. The ice is melting. I've always been concerned with the environment, but she made it even more real to me. Please, have hope and know that we need more 'good' mothers out in the world raising strong, independent, and well-balanced children.

The rest of this post I started Monday morning, but just never finished it.

I'm waiting not so patiently for my new yarns to arrive from Knit Picks. Since I'm a relatively new knitter (and a college student with limited cash flow) I don't have a very large yarn stash yet. In the meantime I've been looking for lace shawl patterns for the laceweight yarn I bought. Here is a gorgous shawl called Kiri that I'm considering. This is another that I like: Print O' The Wave Stole. While looking for these I came across this beginner lace scarf that I think I'll try using the pink yarn I've been wanting to knit up.

It really seems to the all the craze lately, to knit socks. I'm a little scared of them, but I really want to try them. My LYS has classes on knitting socks, so maybe I'll attend one of them this summer after school lets out. I did find a great tutorial on socks at my new favorite website http://www.knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/011018_a.asp. I also found an easy beginner lace pattern for a scarf. I've already started using the pink yarn I've not known what to do with. It is called "Feather and Fan" or "Old Shale".

No comments: