Thursday, April 12, 2007

Family Ties


I have this yarn. This beautiful pink yarn that I have no idea what to knit with it. It is the first yarn that I ever had. It was given to me by my grandma who was the one who taught me to knit. We don't knit like most people in the United States because the woman that taught her to knit was from Hungary. The style is called Continental Or European Method as opposed to the English style of knitting. We hold the yarn in our left hand instead of our right. My grandmother is a woman that I look up to. She is strong, beautiful, and amazing in every way. I want to be just like her when I grow up. It makes me happy that I make her happy by knitting. I've grown up seeing her knitting (usually sweaters). 2 Christmas' ago I decided that I wanted to learn, so I asked her to teach me. I was thrilled, and bought me this yarn and gave me a pair of #6 straight needles. Even thought she is amazing that wasn't the best choice of yarn or size needles to teach with, but I love her anyways. After a few frustrating tries, not getting vary far with those, and then visiting my step-grandma's house I finally had something easier to work with. My step-mom who also knits gave me a size 8 circular needles and some left over yarn she had. We drove to Grove (her mom's house) and by the time we drove the 2 hours I needed more yarn to knit with. Her mom, Betty, gave me about 5 skeins of extra yarn she had in her stash (wish is a lot of yarn). I guess my grandma got me started, and with a little help along the way I'm starting to become a pretty good knitter. I love it. It is relaxing and challenging in a variety of ways. I started out making every color of scarf under the sun, but I got bored. Since this Christmas I've ventured our and really impressed myself and my mothers. I feel that knitting is part of a tradition that didn't really mean to be a tradition, but when i think of knitting it gives me warm comfortable vibes reminding me of home, family, and where I come from. Family is very important to me and thus so is knitting.

This is my newest FO. It is the One Skein Wonder from Glampyre Knits. It turned out really pretty, but it's a little tight. I can still wear it though. I might try it again.

This is material and a pattern for a sundress that I want to make. Reasons I haven't done it yet.

1. It's been cold!
2. I'd rather be knitting (especially lately)
3. I'd rather be knitting

I'm sure I'll get to it sooner or later. Maybe when it starts to warm up again.

Non knitting related topic

I when and sat in on my first ELS class today. I will probably do one more before I start substitue teaching there. It was informative. I got lots of odd looks from the students in and around the building. I'm sure they don't see many Americans coming into their building unless they are teachers. Most of there teachers are older than me (I'm still in college) so I don't they assume I'm a teacher. I did get hit on while waiting for the Center Director to take me to the class I was going to be observing.

No comments: